I finished writing the book and sent the files to my publisher towards the end of January 2009. Towards the end of April they sent me a round of copy-editing comments which I then either retained or rejected. On June 24th the publisher gave me the final proofs, to which I was instructed only to make small corrections of fact and typos. Also on June 24, I launched the online version of the book
BUT something happened between the end of April and the end of June. Yes, a day after I put the book online I was criticized for not mentioning Bing, which had only appeared on the face of the internet two weeks earlier! Of course I did have numerous mention of Microsoft’s search. (Actually, there was a Bing in my book, but it was an author’s name in the references.)
Last week I completed my final round of small edits, and even though it is against the rules, I’ve added a little reference to Bing, since I think the name will have staying power. It appears next to the first image from the old Microsoft search. This way searches on the name won’t come up empty.
I also added corrections to errors that readers of this column so kindly pointed out to me. All of the changes in the proofs are now reflected in the online version of the book, and I don’t expect it to change again after this.
I wish there was a bit more time before the final proofs are needed in case any of you kind readers find more errors. But that would delay production of the hardcopy book, so now things are frozen. Fortunately for the dead-tree version, Google is highly unlikely to rebrand itself any time soon.